Every year on March 14 or 3/14, math lovers around the globe celebrate Pi Day. Pi, symbolized by the Greek letter “π,” represents a constant–the ratio of a circle’s circumference to its diameter. Students know pi as having a value of 3.14 or 3.14159, but there are over 22 trillion digits of pi calculated so far.
Pi is used every day in almost all human endeavors such as engineering, medicine, architecture, biochemistry, etc–It’s only fitting that it is celebrated. Pi day isn’t just math enthusiasts, it’s also an opportunity to create fun and excitement around a subject that often seems difficult for young kids.
Here are several Pi day activities that help make learning about Pi fun for kids of all ages.
- Celebrate Pi Day with Pie – Baking and eating pies is a traditional activity during Pi Day. Baking and cooking are also excellent ways to show kids how important and relevant math is to everyday life.
- Pi Day art projects – Another fun way to celebrate Pi day is to get those artistic juices flowing. Download this free printable activity book from Printable Learning. It comes with coloring sheets and pages containing fun facts about π. You can even try to memorize as many Pi digits as possible!
- Discover π – The first Pi day was held at the San Francisco Exploratorium and to this day they continue to provide excellent resources about Pi. Check out their Pi Day activities that help kids discover and explore Pi.
- Reading and story time with Math and Pi books – Why not pull out some math books for kids? A classic book to read on Pi day is Sir Cumference and the Dragon of Pi (A Math Adventure) by Cindy Neuschwander. It uses common math concepts and turns them into exciting and memorable stories.
These are just some of the creative ways to celebrate Pi day and learn about math. Check out Printable Learning for more free educational materials such as activity books and coloring sheets. Happy Pi Day!
- 3 Tips For Keeping Your Kids Safe While Helping In The Kitchen - August 11, 2020
- Gearbest: The Best Place for Your Online Wholesale Shopping Experience - August 6, 2020
- 3 Tips For Cooking With Wild Game - August 5, 2020