110g millet flakes
350g millet flour
3tsp aluminium-free baking powder
1½ tsp sea salt
450ml sparkling mineral water
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp seeds — pumpkin, sesame, sunflower etc
1. Preheat the oven to 220C/gas 7.
2. Stir together the millet flakes, flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl until well mixed. In a separate bowl, whisk together the sparkling water with the olive oil and the cider vinegar. Pour this into the dry ingredients, mixing vigorously with a spatula until you get a medium-thick batter.
3. In order to get a nicely shaped loaf, cut a sheet of parchment paper to fit inside a loaf pan without any creases. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the seeds. Pour the dough into the pan and top with the remaining seeds.
4. Put the pan into the preheated oven, lower the temperature to 200C/gas 6 and bake for 1 hour.
5. Remove from the oven and tip the bread out of the pan, peel off the paper and allow it to cool completely on a wire rack. This will prevent the bread from absorbing moisture and will keep the crust crisp. Wrap the bread in tea towels and store in a cool, dry place for up to five days.
Creamy green soup
1 litre water 5 handfuls of green leafy vegetables (chard, spinach, kale, nettles etc)
¼ tsp sea salt 150g ripe avocado flesh
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp umeboshi vinegar
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1. Bring the water to a boil in a large saucepan. Carefully wash the greens and drain off the excess water. If using kale, remove the hard stem running up the centre of each leaf. Add the greens to boiling water, cover and cook for 1–4 minutes, depending how soft the greens are – they should remain bright green in colour.
2. Add all the other ingredients and then transfer them into a food processor or a blender and blend until smooth. Taste and adjust the seasoning, if necessary.
3. Serve immediately. If you like, you can make croutons out of the gluten-free bread.
Latest posts by Anna Jones (see all)
- Benefits of having a wall art in your room - January 20, 2020
- 5 Fruits and Vegetables That Can Help You Lose Weight - January 15, 2020
- 3 Healthy Natural Meals that can be Made with Bulk Foods - January 8, 2020