Where did the month of July go? I have been on a weekly trip to Bangkok almost all weekend of July as well on business trip since last week. My Bangkok trips were mostly for my language lessons, oh yes, I can read and write in Thai now! I spent like 6 hours a day studying Thai reading and writing on weekends so as you can look at my blog, I haven’t done that much cooking lately. I had one weekend free though, just before I have a series of road trips going on. That was a weekend of relaxing and home-cooked meals. And these stuffed mushrooms were a perfect accompaniment to my mojito weekend!
This month, I was assigned to cook a recipe from What’s Brewing in the Kitchen, for the Secret Recipe Club. What’s Brewing in the Kitchen is the husband-and-wife tandem of Amy and Zach. Zach is a researcher at the National Cancer Institute in the US while Amy is a teacher in Northern Virginia. I’ve thought of making their velveted chicken stir fry or pork fried rice, but then again, I do a lot of stir fries. So something a little bit different than my usual cooking but still with ingredients I can get hold of. The stuffed mushrooms recipe caught my fancy, something I could indulge in after several weekends out of the house. I love mushrooms very much, which is why I am enjoying my stay in Thailand – there are so many mushroom species to eat here! I didn’t have smoked mozzarella though so I just use a locally produced mozzarella cheese. And since I was travelling again in the next couple of weeks, I thought of emptying my refrigerator and so added leftover kale and chives into the mix. I omitted the bread crumbs though, as I know I won’t be using any after this. Stuffed mushrooms and my own mojitos – overall a fine weekend!
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ¼ cup minced shallots (about 1 large)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 pound Shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and chopped
- 2 tbsp minced chives
- 2 tbsp chopped kale
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, diced
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon water
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Heat olive oil in a small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Saute minced shallots and minced garlic, a minute or 2 until tender. Remove to a bowl.
- Add chopped mushroom stems, chives, chopped kale, salt, freshly ground black pepper, and diced mozzarella cheese to the shallot mixture; toss with a fork until blended.
- Add the rest of the olive oil and 1 teaspoon water; stir well to combine.
- Spoon about 1 tablespoon filling into each mushroom cap. Arrange mushrooms, filling side up, on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 180°C for 20 minutes or until filling begins to brown and cheese melts. Serve warm.